Friday, January 13, 2012

Stats the way I like it

Opening an Etsy store and starting a blog has introduced me to the world of stats.  Stats on your sites can be a wonderful tool.  They can show you what your most popular products are, what you need to improve, and provide insight to who your audience is.  But sometimes stats are just a confusing pile of crap.

Actually, stats are more like having a scale when you're dieting.  Using a scale can lead you to weigh yourself every day, and therefore into insanity. Day One = X pounds.  Day Two = X pounds.  Day Three = X - 2 pounds.  Day Four = X - 1 pound.  It's frustrating.  Looking at my Etsy stats can feel the same way.

But I like looking at the stats every day because my store is new.  I'm trying to grow my business, and I need to see what works.  Plus I'm just curious.  I seem to average about 8-10 store and/or listing views a day.  If I look at a certain day's stats and that's what pops up, I'm content.  But if the total is zero, I start obsessing a tad over why.

I'm currently confused by a bump the other way.  Yesterday, I had 30 shop views and 41 listing views.  Ooh!  But WHY?  This is the trouble with being a former journalist: I have to know the who, what, when, where, why and how.  Stats can fill a lot of that in, but not the why.  Since I'm hard on myself, I figured someone just got locked into my page somehow and was tripping the page views.  I know it happens.  My 6-year-old is responsible for unnecessarily hiking the page views of one of my friends.  She's a big fan of my friend's shop and loves to look at all her jewelry -- sometimes several times.  I try to prevent this, but my daughter's figuring out how to use Google and can sometimes get to my friend's shop on her own.  So I know not every page view is a valuable page view.  I figured that's what happened to me yesterday.

But then I read my e-mail and discovered a lot of people did discover my store yesterday.  I had several e-mails telling me people had "liked" one of my pieces or my store, or had added me to their Etsy circle.  As to why, I still haven't figured that out.  I didn't list a new piece yesterday, or join a group, or link to the store from Facebook or here.  So what happened?  The universe just ain't gonna help me on that.  Now what I need to do is just sit back and be happy about it.  And not start obsessively checking today's stats.  They're trending a little high again, by the way.  Wait!  No!  I mean I haven't checked my stats today!  Not once!

No, not once.  More like three times.  Sigh.



No comments:

Post a Comment